Monday, July 23, 2007

The Final Installment

I remember it like it was yesterday, in truth it was the day before yesterday. I rushed home from work to beat the mailman hoping he was running late. If I didn't get it then I would have to wait til Monday almost two days to pick it up at the post office. But as the mailman came trucking across my yard I ran to the door to greet him with "Do you have a Harry Potter for me?!!"
"Yes I do!" he said. "Your my last one!" He had delivered all of them in the morning. just Harry Potters which was why he was running late. I wasn't home in the morning so he brought it back.

I took the box inside and sat on the sofa. I tore the end open and carefully pulled the book out. I could smell the factory fresh pages. The bright oranges and yellows of the book jacket glowed up at me. The brand new binding creaked as I opened cover. I had to pause. It was the last book, the "final installment." When I read this one it will all be over. The world will never be the same again. It is a daunting thought. I have known these characters for ten years.

Now I am on page 638, I find I have to pause again. Although it has been less than 72 hours we have been through a lot Harry, Ron, Hermione and I. I feel like they are moving away and I am helping them pack up their U-haul. It won't be long now....I don't think I am ready yet. Perhaps I will go do some dishes.

2 comments:

zetta said...

I'm still in the first half of the book. I can't bring myself to rush through it, but it is also stressing me out.

Althea Rocks said...

See? I am incapable of depriving myself! I tried to do other things like grocery shopping, dishes laundry, but it was sweltering outside so I couldn't go out. In the end I just couldn't leave 'em hanging!